MTI Film today announces the release of Cortex v5.5, a major update to its widely used family of transcoding and workflow solutions. The new version introduces two revolutionary options, MTai Frame Rate Conversion and MTai Super Resolution Uprez, which apply artificial intelligence to two common tasks, leading to significantly improved results. Cortex 5.5 also includes a host of new and improved features in its core software to increase productivity, support new formats and delivery requirements, and resolve workflow issues from set to screen.
MTai frame rate conversion represents a leap forward from conventional frame rate conversion processes that rely on duplicating or deleting frames. The new tool uses machine learning to interpolate between frames, increasing or decreasing the frame rate without ghosting, stuttering or distortion. “The results are breathtaking,” says Randy Reck, director of product development at MTI. “The software analyzes multiple adjacent images for motion, background, and foreground elements and produces a synthetic image that is indistinguishable from an actual exposure. The motion blur is just right. The detail is perfect.”
MTai Super Resolution Uprez applies a similar AI-driven process to the task of increasing image resolution. The tool analyzes adjacent pixels in a single image to produce intermediate pixels in a smooth transition. The result is not just a larger image, but an image with more detail and clarity. “It’s magic,” Reck said. “Looks like you took the same image with a higher resolution.”
Both MTai tools will be available to Cortex users for an annual subscription. However, MTI Film allows current users free access to the tools for a limited trial period.
New and improved features include:
- QA Tool Concurrent Batch Analysis: Enables multiple audio and video analysis modes to be performed simultaneously.
- Dolby ATMOS timeline audio waveform: Displays waveforms in timelines for easy ATMOS audio editing.
- Dead pixel rendering: Render only “still” shots when preparing additional IMF packages.
- NexGuard Forensic Watermark: Add the NexGuard forensic watermark to Cortex renders.
- BBC IMF: Produce IMF packages that meet BBC delivery requirements (developed in conjunction with BBC engineers).
- RDD 59-1 IMF: Produce IMF packages in SMPTE RDD 59-1.
- IMF markers: Expands and simplifies navigation in IMF markers.
- Loudness Meter: Supports dialogue-gating in loudness measurement. Adds presets for Netflix, Apple and other popular standards.
- Importing and validating the IMF package: IMF packages are automatically validated during rendering.
- Encrypted assets: Use encrypted resources in any composition.
- Extract audio groups from MXF and QuickTime: Automatically extract audio pools and mixes for faster rendering.
- Automatic composition with Dolby Vision metadata: Automatically include source Dolby Vision metadata in the composition.
- XDCAM deliverables. Adds ability to set AFD flags.
- Composition Audio Setup. Adds the ability to set QuickTime audio track details.
- EDL import: Now includes color.
- Shift+Left/Shift+Right: The arrow jumps one second.
- Copy tool: Copy large numbers of files (hundreds or even thousands of files) more efficiently.
- Waveform monitor: Now includes line selection.
- Naming DCP MXF Files: Adds a checkbox for file naming conventions.
- Atmos encrypted. Encrypt ATMOS files in DCPs.
- Detection and maximum luminance ratio: Maximum luminance in addition to HDR 10 RGB values.
- Output file names: Automatically corrects bad file names.
- DCP improvements: DCP seconds in KDM Time, drag and drop certification files.
- Subclips: Generate sub-blips in Sony RAW and RED.
- IDs: Improved output options.
- Extended metadata editing for DPP AS-11
- Improved error reporting for rendering issues, including incorrect filenames
- Updated support for Blackmagic, Arri and Sony cameras.
- Import hidden EDL dialog under player in Edit
- Fixed slow playback for long composition in graphics
- Overlapping DCP subtitles
- XAVC MXF file format fixes
- Dolby Vision XML export with target display values of all events
- Korean text capability in IMF Validator
- Drag-and-drop corrections.
CORTEX v5.5 upgrades are available through the MTI Film website to current CORTEX Enterprise, Dailies, QC and DIT+ licensees with current support contracts. Users needing to renew support should contact MTI Film Sales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About MTI Film LLC
MTI Film is a leading provider of software and services for the entertainment industry. Its software division provides revolutionary tools for critical post-production processes. They include the CORTEX product family, which offers comprehensive solutions for dailies processing, media management, deliverables and more, and DRS™ NOVA, the industry standard for digital film restoration.
In Hollywood, MTI Film operates a full-service post-production facility, providing daily, editorial, visual effects, color correction and assembly for film, television and commercials.
For more information, visit www.mtifilm.com.
#MTI #Film #releases #Cortex #v5.5 #tools #frame #rate #conversion #upscaling